Short Term Rentals – Welcome to the City of Fort Worth

  • What is a short-term rental (STR)? Short-term rentals are residential properties available for rental for guest accommodation for a period ranging from 1 to 29 days.
  • Where are STRs currently allowed in Fort Worth? Short-term rentals are permitted in all mixed-use neighborhoods and most form-based neighborhoods, commercial and industrial districts with a certificate of occupancy from the Department of Developmental Services. They are not allowed in residential areas: A -#, AR, B, R1, R2, CR, C, D, UR
  • How are STR zoning violations currently enforced? The city’s code compliance department is investigating based on a complaint. When violations are found, warnings/citations are issued to owners. The city cannot issue quotes based solely on online advertisements or reservations.
  • Why is the city reviewing STRs and possible updates to our regulations?
    • Preserve the residential quality of neighborhoods and protect against encroachment by commercial accommodation.
    • Ensure the health and safety of guests and residents.
    • Support tourism in a balanced way.
    • Preserve the supply of residential housing.
    • Collect hotel occupancy tax (HOT) from legal STRs.
    • Minimize staff impact and recoup code enforcement costs.

  • Proposal for registration for legal STRs – As part of the changes being considered, staff recommends requiring all legal STRs to be registered through a third-party platform. The registration would include the following provisions:
  • Annual fee to cover city costs (platform and application)
  • HOT collection (cannot be used for administration or enforcement)
  • Owner records/consents; non-transferable registration
  • 24/7 local contact and liability insurance
  • Affidavit for safety protocols (smoke/CO2 detectors, fire sprinklers, etc.)
  • One guest/group at a time
  • Limited to 3 people/room, max 9 people
  • On-site parking only with mandatory parking plan
  • No event/party; no outdoor gatherings or music after 10 p.m.
  • Require a good neighbor guide (obey noise, garbage and parking ordinances)
  • Advertising for STR requires registration
  • Registration placed on probation or revoked due to infractions
  • The city would require advertising platforms (Airbnb, VRBO, etc.) to only allow advertising for STRs registered with the city

What are the zoning options for dealing with illegal STRs being considered by the city?

Option 1: Current Ordinance – Continue to require a rezoning for STRs in residential zoning to PD planned development, mixed use or commercial zoning.

Option 2: Treat owner-occupied STRs as guest rooms. This would require a conditional use license with a time limit of 5 years. It would not be permitted in single-family zoning; Permitted only with a conditional use permit in zoom 2-family and multi-family with a separation of 400 feet. Treat investor-owned STRs like bed and breakfasts and require a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) with a five-year time limit and would not allow single-family zoning, only allowed with CUP in high-density multi-family . Would continue to require a rezoning for all STRs within single family zoning.

Variant 3: Allow owner-occupied STRs by conditional use permit in all residential neighborhoods, up to 5-10% of block or multi-family building. Allow investor-owned STRs by conditional use permit in multi-family neighborhoods, up to 5-10% of the multi-family block or building. Continue to require a zoning change for everyone else.

Variant 4: Permit owner-occupied STRs as of right in certain neighborhoods or citywide, up to 5-10% of a block or multi-family building and less than 30 nights booked per year. Require a conditional use permit or zoning change for all others.

About Alexander Estrada

Check Also

A hand pie is just a way to thank the farmers who lend you a hand

Using a mini cookie scoop to scoop the filling onto the pies speeds up the …